GUCCI — THE NEW FASHION TOWN
In 1915, the first Caproni factory buildings were established in the rural outskirts east of Milan. Sheds and hangers lined up along what is now Via Mecenate, while the west sat the Taliedo airfield, where planes took off for test flights and underwent inspection. The Via Mecenate facilities built biplanes and triplanes that were among the best known aircraft of the time.
Almost a century later, Gucci chose the area as the site of its new offices. Gucci hired Milanese architecture firm Piuarch to create a new design and concept suitable for a modern headquarters that would preserve the existing architecture while paying homage to the historical site. The original architecture was preserved, and with a few exceptions, the structures retained their size and layout.